It's tough being a Jedi
In an e-mail exchange with a friend today I was reminded of this interesting feature from GameSpy.com back in March. It is about the struggle by LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment to properly balance the gameplay in "Star Wars Galaxies", the massively multiplayer online roleplaying game set in the Star Wars universe.
The most interesting bit is about the introduction of the Jedi class. Basically, the developers made it possible to become a Jedi, but because they didn't want everyone in the game suddenly acquiring amazing Force powers, they made it pretty difficult and on top of that didn't tell anyone how to do it. Because no one could figure it out, they eventually had to start dropping clues. Plus, the Jedi were hobbled by critical weaknesses that could bring a player's weeks of hard work to a frustruating end.
Apparently there has been lots of tweaking to the game and pretty thorough overhaul of the Jedi system. There also is a new expansion pack coming out for the game, called "Jump to Lightspeed". I've never played any MMORPG but I have to admit this is pretty tempting.
The most interesting bit is about the introduction of the Jedi class. Basically, the developers made it possible to become a Jedi, but because they didn't want everyone in the game suddenly acquiring amazing Force powers, they made it pretty difficult and on top of that didn't tell anyone how to do it. Because no one could figure it out, they eventually had to start dropping clues. Plus, the Jedi were hobbled by critical weaknesses that could bring a player's weeks of hard work to a frustruating end.
Apparently there has been lots of tweaking to the game and pretty thorough overhaul of the Jedi system. There also is a new expansion pack coming out for the game, called "Jump to Lightspeed". I've never played any MMORPG but I have to admit this is pretty tempting.

<< Home