Monday, April 25, 2005

Books

After struggling for more than a week to stay awake through The Ideas That Conquered the World, I finally put it back on the shelf and pulled down Sister Alice by Robert Reed.

Yes, I've once again picked sci-fi over something substantial. Actually, Ideas was pretty illuminating, at least when I was able to pay attention. I think I just might have to take it in doses -- 100 pages a month or something.

Robert Reed, however, totally rocks.

I first read some of his short stories in Asimov's, the sci-fi magazine. He had several stories set millions of years in the future, when humans had evolved into near-gods, fighting brutal, epic battles that spanned the entire galaxy. Transhumanism with fangs.

Sister Alice is a novel set in that universe, and so far it promises to pack the same drama and stark writing as the short stories did.