Trapped
In a moment of extreme foolishness, I picked up George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. Why was that foolish? Because it's the first book in a massive fantasy epic that runs for thousands of pages. And now I'm committed to reading them all. Thrones was just over 800 pages, the second book, A Clash of Kings is more than 1,000 pages long, and the third book, A Storm of Swords tops 1,100 pages. When I started, I was under the impression that it was only a trilogy, but now there is a fourth book out as well. I really hope this doesn't turn into an endless epic, like Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series that is now up to its 11th installment, each one around 800 pages long. I got a couple hundred pages into the first Wheel book before getting bored and putting it down. Thank God I did, too. If you can't finish a story in 9,000 pages, you need a better editor or a smaller ego. I hope Mr. Martin follows a wiser path.

<< Home