Saturday, April 08, 2006

Bay Area

Dave thinks we should saw off San Francisco into the sea. In the comments, Geezer at Blog Idaho wonders what I make of it. I left a comment at Garfield Ridge that's I'll reproduce here:

I actually live in a Berkeley suburb, but work in the city proper.

I've only been here five months, but I have to grudgingly admit that the Bay Area is, in fact, a pretty nice place to live. It is more croweded and dirty than my hometown, Seattle, but it is certainly one of the friendliest places I've ever lived in.

Now, with a 4-year-old at home, I don't get out much. But I can't really attest to many true moonbat sightings, and the locals I've met may be liberal, but mostly of the reasonable, common-sense variety.

And while San Francisco has a reputation as not being friendly to families, I've been pleasantly surprised at how nice and accomodating people are to kids. There are tons of playgrounds and parks, and no shortage of other parents -- especially ones of mixed ethnicity or nationality.

That said, I can't see staying around here more than a couple years. Why? It's nothing to do with politics. It's the outrageous cost of living, particularly housing. Sorry, but I don't plan on having my son grow up in a 2-bedroom apartment, especially when I could get a 4-bedroom house for the same monthly payment elsewhere.

Oh, and Seattle? If you're fighting the liberal influence, give up, the city is already lost. But I still plan on moving back someday.