Monday, August 07, 2006

Seasons

Ancient man's life used to be measured according to agricultural seasons. Those seasons themselves were divided into lesser milestones. The Chinese lunar calendar, in particular, is laden with events such as "The Waking of Insects" (early March), "Grain Rain" (early April), and "Frost's Descent" (late October).

The progression of my life can also be measured. But, in a sign of my continued slide into dorkdom, I have discovered that instead of lunar cycles, agricultural deadlines, or other natural phenomena, my life is increasingly defined by media events, also known as "release dates".

It's not enough to live life day by day, I have to have something to look forward to. And what I look forward to are release dates. This summer has been pretty pathetic. There hasn't been any big book, album, movie or game that I've been waiting on the edge of my seat for. That changes starting next month, though.

Here are a few things I'm looking forward to.

Sept. 5 -- "Lost" Season 2 DVD -- 'nuff said.

Sept. 12 -- "Test Drive: Unlimited" for Xbox 360 -- they mapped the entire island of Oahu and give you free reign to drive sweet calls all over it.

Sept. 12 -- new Black Keys album "Magic Potion" released.

Sept. 19 -- "Battlestar Galactica" Season 2.5 DVD -- 'nuff said.

Oct. 6 -- "Star Trek Tactical Assault" for the Nintendo DS -- handheld space combat was never cooler!

Nov. 12 -- Emergence Day! "Gears of War" for Xbox 360 hits!

And that's not even counting the launch of Nintendo's Wii console, which is expected to come out in early November.

Yes, I am pathetic. Feel free to leave messages of scorn and derision below.