Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Gadget list

As long as I'm doing lists today, I'd like to point out this Top 10 gadget list from CNet.

It's not necessarily a bad list, but I found it odd that they included three mobile telephones and three MP3 players. How about some variety, guys?

Here's my alternative list (in no particular order).

1. Mac mini. These are just sweet.

2. Any Rio MP3 player. I have the Rio Forge 256 and love the form factor and the features. I also have a 20G Rio Karma, which should be getting replaced soon with something a bit sexier, though I still think the functionality kicks ass over everything else, yes, even the sacred iPod.

3. The Xbox. With Xbox Live, of course, even though I haven't been able to try that out since they don't offer it in China. Grrr...

4. The PalmOne Treo 650. I'm not really into smart phones, but I think CNet has a good point with this one and it really has a lot of buzz.

5. A set of Bose sound-cancellingheadphones.

6. The new HP iPaq. Fingerprint ID! How cool is that?

7. A FragBox. Yes, this makes two computers on my list, and two items with the word "box" in their names but this is a gaming rig while the Mac is for being creative at home with photos, music and video.

8. A Linksys wireless router to hook up your Mac with your FragBox.

9. An HP Photosmart 6x4 printer. I had the first model of this line and it totally rocked. Very impressive when you take it traveling and hand out instant prints of things you just did with friends and family.

10. I'll wrap this up with a big ol' Panasonic 36" HDTV. I still think tube televisions are the way to go, quality-wise and cost-wise. See, by taking the money I would have spent on a flat-panel plasma TV, I can get a CRT TV and everything else on this list, except maybe the FragBox.