Thursday, June 16, 2005

Are you evil? Probably, according to this guy.

I was browsing some news stories for recent info about The White Stripes, who just put out their fifth awesome album, "Get Behind Me Satan", when I came across this story about Coldplay, whose new album is number one on the British charts.

I know, I know, who cares? No one really, but this precious sentiment from their vocalist caught my eye:

Nevertheless, Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin, who is married to
Oscar-winning actress Gwyneth Paltrow, has made clear he had little concern about how the band's fortunes affect his label's bottom line.

"I don't really care about EMI," he told Reuters at a recent appearance in Manhattan. "I think shareholders are the great evil of this modern world."
Okay, everyone knows record labels are sleazeball operations, but I guess this guy has to prove that he hasn't sold out by emphasizing that he couldn't give a damn whether the company that took a chance on his band and helped them get to number one goes tits up.

It doesn't even occur to this brave soul that he is in one of the very few industries where not can he get away with publicly saying crap like that. Not only that, it will probably actually help his career.

You think EMI is so bad, Chris, why don't you tell them to piss off so you can do something really bold like come up with a new business model that doesn't let those greedy suits cash in on your hard work? Oh yeah, you won't do that because you wouldn't be banking the huge sackfuls of cash that EMI tosses your way.

At least this bold speaker of uncomfortable truths has the moral courage to point out what is really wrong with society: "Shareholders are the great evil of this modern world."

Right on, dude! That is, like, soooo true!

Not, "The shareholder system has certain shortcomings that I believe are sometimes at odds with moral or ethical behavior." Nope.

Not even, "Shareholders are one of many evils in this modern world." Nope.

And certainly not "Shareholders are part of the greatest economic system ever developed, one that, despite its occasional shortcomings, has proven amazingly adept at spreading prosperity throughout all societies that adopt it." Nope.

Shareholders are the great evil of this modern world. There is simply nothing more depraved in this world than a shareholder.

Mohammad Atta, Robert Mugabe, those committing genocide in Sudan, used car salesmen. All pale in comparison to the retiree in Pensacola who has a few thousand shares in Citigroup and General Motors.

With insightful statements like this, we can of course be assured that Chris is a man who puts his money where his mouth is.

I am confident that he has instructed his financial advisors not to buy a single share of any pubicly held company.

Hasn't he?