Back
I apologize to all three of my regular readers for the lack of posts the past few days.
Things got rather hectic as we wrapped up our vacation in Seattle. But now that I'm back at work, I should have plenty of free time to post. Ha ha.
I was going to break down my vacation by the numbers like I did last year. You know, ounces of microbrew consumed, miles driven, square inches of skin sunburned, that sort of thing.
Unfortunately, my Pocket PC I was recording all this stuff in ran out of juice two weeks in. And it turned out I'd brought the wrong charger. And I mistakenly assumed the device had flash memory that would keep stuff even while the battery was dead. I was wrong.
In fact, the battery fiasco was just one of many little snafus that, when listed together, make the vacation seem not so fun. A smattering:
--More than $700 in traffic tickets. That included nearly $200 for speeding and -- get this -- more than $500 for not having proof of insurance in the car. Not for not actually having insurance, mind you, but just for not having the slip of paper proving I had insurance. I did get that waived by bringing the insurance form into the court clerk. But still, five hundred clams?
--Massive allergy attack by three-year-old in Montana.
--Emergency room visit for coughing and wheezing three-year-old. This was actually after the Montana attack.
--Diagnosis of asthma for said three-year-old.
--Three fillings for me.
--Loss of favorite pair of really sweet Oakley sunglasses.
--Returning home eager to try out five new Xbox games and finding out that housekeeper's 11-year-old daughter accidentally fried the machine by plugging it into the 220V wall socket instead of the 110V voltage converter.
You'd think by looking at that that we were miserable, but we actually had a blast.
I had awesome pizza, saw a ballgame with an old friend, drank lots of tasty microbrews, bought a new suit, acquired aforementioned video games, snagged some good books, saw relatives I hadn't seen in seven years, drank three cups of coffee, drove my '69 Ford convertible, took the boy to the zoo, and saw the new "Star Wars" movie. Twice.
Things got rather hectic as we wrapped up our vacation in Seattle. But now that I'm back at work, I should have plenty of free time to post. Ha ha.
I was going to break down my vacation by the numbers like I did last year. You know, ounces of microbrew consumed, miles driven, square inches of skin sunburned, that sort of thing.
Unfortunately, my Pocket PC I was recording all this stuff in ran out of juice two weeks in. And it turned out I'd brought the wrong charger. And I mistakenly assumed the device had flash memory that would keep stuff even while the battery was dead. I was wrong.
In fact, the battery fiasco was just one of many little snafus that, when listed together, make the vacation seem not so fun. A smattering:
--More than $700 in traffic tickets. That included nearly $200 for speeding and -- get this -- more than $500 for not having proof of insurance in the car. Not for not actually having insurance, mind you, but just for not having the slip of paper proving I had insurance. I did get that waived by bringing the insurance form into the court clerk. But still, five hundred clams?
--Massive allergy attack by three-year-old in Montana.
--Emergency room visit for coughing and wheezing three-year-old. This was actually after the Montana attack.
--Diagnosis of asthma for said three-year-old.
--Three fillings for me.
--Loss of favorite pair of really sweet Oakley sunglasses.
--Returning home eager to try out five new Xbox games and finding out that housekeeper's 11-year-old daughter accidentally fried the machine by plugging it into the 220V wall socket instead of the 110V voltage converter.
You'd think by looking at that that we were miserable, but we actually had a blast.
I had awesome pizza, saw a ballgame with an old friend, drank lots of tasty microbrews, bought a new suit, acquired aforementioned video games, snagged some good books, saw relatives I hadn't seen in seven years, drank three cups of coffee, drove my '69 Ford convertible, took the boy to the zoo, and saw the new "Star Wars" movie. Twice.

<< Home