Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Rio RIP

How could I have missed this? Guess that will teach me not to read Gizmodo for a couple weeks.

The line of Rio MP3 players is being discontinued. I guess Apple is just kicking so much ass that it's getting hard for smaller players to survive.

This is a shame, because I have had two Rio players -- a 256-Mb Cali and a 20-Gb Karma -- for about a year and love them. I was really interested in what their next-gen HD player, the Chroma, was going to be like.

It's also sad because Rio, in its initial incarnation as a maker of computer sound cards and other hardware, was basically the first company to make a mass-produced MP3 player. I clearly remember the news of them winning their landmark court case against the RIAA that established MP3 players as a legit consumer device.

But as is so often the case with the Schumpeterian creative destruction of the electronics marketplace, the ones who blaze the trail aren't necessarily the ones who end up turning it into an eight-lane paved toll road.

Okay, I don't even know what that means. Time to quit for the night.