Thursday, December 15, 2005

You Can't Find Me

Because I'm lost. Lost in "Lost", that is. What a cool show. We just started watching the first season on DVD and were completely hooked by the end of Disc 1.

I like how the focus of the show is the fight for survival and the social dynamics of this group under severe stress, yet there's this supernatural thread running through the background. It's not in your face, like in "The X-Files" or whatnot, but it's there and it's deployed just enough to make things creepy once in a while. It's neat how each episode delves into the history of one of the characters.

The acting overall is pretty good, though Matthew Fox, the guy who plays Jack, has yet to fully grow into the role. He's just not yet believable as a spinal surgeon.

Evangeline Lilly as Kate provides the chief sex factor, but her character is actually quite interesting and I think she comes across as believable and sympathetic.

The real intriguing characters, however, are Locke, played by Terry O'Quinn, and Sawyer, played by Josh Holloway. The flashback sequences for these two have been the most gripping and mind-blowing. Great writing and pacing for those two episodes. I definitely look forward to learning more about them.

My main question though, is: where the hell did that polar bear come from?