Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscars

Had to TiVo the Oscars to let Number One Son play the Spongebob Xbox game I bought him today. I inadvertently saw that "Crash" won best picture. What a great upset. I am sure that not a single person in the office pool picked that. As for my picks, I was 3 of 4 by the time I had to switch them off.

Anyway, the most unintentionally hilarious moment for me came when the Academy was showing clips from all the edgy social commentary films produced over the years. There were some great films in there, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner", "All the President's Men", "Schindler's List", etc. But then they show a clip from freakin' "The Day After Tomorrow", as if a cheesy popcorn movie that distorted climate science beyond recognition should share the moment with films that were truly remarkable. Whoever made the call to put that clip in needs to be send to monitor the Ross Ice Shelf first hand for the next decade or so.