Sunday, August 13, 2006

We've Lost

Or have we?

Garfield Ridge has a thoroughly depressing post up saying that the cease-fire deal with Hezbollah has sealed our defeat in the war.

I'm not so sure, and I left these remarks in his comment section:
Surely this is a bit of an over-reaction, Dave?

I too have the horrible feeling that, eventually, a nuke will go off in an American city, at which point all concern for waging this war humanely goes out the window.

But we've been "legitimizing" these guys for decades now. How is this cease-fire any different from The Handshake President Clinton presided over? Or cutting deals with the Iraqi cleric al-Sadr? Or recognizing the Saud family as a legitimate government?

It might be true to say this continues a pattern of legitimization that is hampering our broader effort in the war, but I don't see *this* particular deal as the final omen that we've lost the entire war.
Anyone have any thoughts?