All Amazon, all the time
Today's Opinion Journal has a profile of Harriet Klausner. If you do a lot of book shopping on Amazon, you might have read one of her reviews -- she's written nearly 9,000 of them. Her 53,000 "helpful" votes from Amazon shoppers have made her the No. 1 reviewer on the site.
I've wondered for a couple years when someone would get around to looking into Amazon's top reviewers. To be honest, I haven't found Harriet's reviews to be all that helpful. Many of them are just three paragraphs, the first two of which are the plot summary and the last one her nutshell assessment.
Still, girl got mad book reading 5killz. She reads 4-5 books a day. I think might account for some of her popularity -- she can read new books so fast that she's one of the first to post a review, that is subsequently seen by all the shoppers that follow.
But what I found most interesting is that publishers have caught on to her. They send her truckloads of review copies of books (giving her a further jump up on competing reviewers). It's clear that the marketers have fingered her as sort of a prime mover among book readers. I wonder if the No. 2 reviewer gets the same treatment. If so, it would be interesting to plot a couple curves, like what happens to a book's sales after a top reviewer writes about it, or how attention from publishers rises the higher a reviewer's Amazon ranking is.
Okay, enough Amazon posts for one day.
Oh yeah, one last thing. My Amazon reviewer rank is 4,443 as of this post. I've penned 47 reviews that have garnered 320 "helpful" votes.
I've wondered for a couple years when someone would get around to looking into Amazon's top reviewers. To be honest, I haven't found Harriet's reviews to be all that helpful. Many of them are just three paragraphs, the first two of which are the plot summary and the last one her nutshell assessment.
Still, girl got mad book reading 5killz. She reads 4-5 books a day. I think might account for some of her popularity -- she can read new books so fast that she's one of the first to post a review, that is subsequently seen by all the shoppers that follow.
But what I found most interesting is that publishers have caught on to her. They send her truckloads of review copies of books (giving her a further jump up on competing reviewers). It's clear that the marketers have fingered her as sort of a prime mover among book readers. I wonder if the No. 2 reviewer gets the same treatment. If so, it would be interesting to plot a couple curves, like what happens to a book's sales after a top reviewer writes about it, or how attention from publishers rises the higher a reviewer's Amazon ranking is.
Okay, enough Amazon posts for one day.
Oh yeah, one last thing. My Amazon reviewer rank is 4,443 as of this post. I've penned 47 reviews that have garnered 320 "helpful" votes.

<< Home