Thursday, March 03, 2005

Who dat?

Watching "Ray" last night, I had one of those experiences where an actor's face is sooo familiar, yet you just can't place him.

In this case, it was the character of Atlantic Records executive Ahmet Ertegun (he's the one on the right).

The actor turned out to be Curtis Armstrong, a name which meant nothing to me. Still, I knew he had to have played some key role that had lodged itself in my consciousness years ago.

Then, scrolling down the list of Armstrong's movies, there it was. Of course. Instant recognition. A performance so powerful, so convincing, it altered the course of my youth.

A line from that role may be the best Armstrong has ever uttered in his entire career:

"This is bullshit. Pan down. I want bush!"

Yes folks, you know and love Armstrong for his groundbreaking role as Booger, in 1984's "Revenge of the Nerds".