Friday, September 02, 2005

BSG

I've started watching Season One of "Battlestar Galactica".

I hadn't seen the miniseries, so the first two episodes were very confusing. But the third episode, about the prison uprising, was fantastic. I've seen six shows so far and it is definitely gaining momentum.

It's probably the best sci-fi show since "Star Trek: The Next Generation". The production is amazing -- the sets and props look as good as anything on the big screen.

The casting is quite good and the acting of a very high caliber for being so early in the show's life. The cast of "ST:TNG" didn't mature into their roles until at least the second season, probably the third.

The choice of Edward James Olmos as Commander Adama was inspired, to say the least. I've seen worn tire tread that was prettier to look at, but the guy sure does project authority and gravitas.

My other favorite is of course Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck. I was highly skeptical about the decision to turn Starbuck as a woman, but she is just downright fun to watch. She is not hot, like the scrumpdillyicious Grace Park (who plays two human-looking cylons), but she possesses a spunky charm that is perfect for the role.

The biggest question marks for me right now hang over Apollo and President Roslin.

Jamie St. John Bamber Griffith is a bit too much of a pretty boy. He definitely has a pretty boy name. When the show's main female character is ballsier and grittier than the hunky male star, something has gone a bit askew.

As for President Roslin, Mary McDonnell (hey, does everyone realize she was Kevin Costner's chick in Dances With Wolves?) has the range as an actress, but I haven't seen much of it yet. Based on what I have seen, it seems that a chief qualification for government service in the future will be the ability to talk like an aromatherapist. I keep waiting for her to break out the patchouli and light the beeswax candles. Then again, she was only the Secretary of Education, No. 43 in the line of succession.

So, my overall assessment is "quite good and getting better", or "four stars with an upward bias on the outlook".