Monday, March 06, 2006

Black

I have found a diversion, albeit a temporary one, from "Battlefield 2": "Black".

This is basically just a balls-out shooter for the original Xbox and PlayStation 2 that the developers describe as "gun porn". It's made by Critereon, the team that does the outstanding "Burnout" racing series. If you've ever played those games, you know their specialty is spectacular scenes of destruction.

"Black" doesn't disappoint in that regard. In fact, that's the whole point of the game. Basically, you are handed an arsenal of weapons and the object is to expend as much ammo as possible shooting everything that moves and a great deal of what doesn't. You shoot until something either dies or blows up, and there ain't much that doesn't blow up. Wooden planks blow up in this game, for crying out loud.

The gun models are highly detailed. Supposedly the head of Critereon (a British guy) decided to make the game after spending time at a Las Vegas gun range. The scenery graphics are decent, but from what I've seen of the first couple levels it's a bit dark. The trick is to find the fuel cans and boxes of explosives littered around the maps, and blast those to light up the area with serious fireworks.

Let me talk about the sound. Oh, the glorious sound! This game probably has the best sound of any title I've played. Each gun is distinct, and the suckers are loud. Since I can only enjoy the smell of virtual napalm and cordite after Number One Son goes to bed, I have to keep things quiet. But this game is so outrageously loud I have to turn the sound system down to a setting that, if I was watching a DVD or TV, would be nearly inaudible. At a normal setting, the sound effects rumble and boom like a thunderstorm in your living. Seriously, this is a huge component of the game's enjoyability for me, and I find it puzzling that more developers don't get this right.

I said "Black" will only be a temporary diversion from "BF2". That's because it's apparently really short. Seasonsed FPS types can blow through it in 6 hours or so. I expect it will take me more like 10 or more. Plus, there's no multiplayer whatever and very little replay value beyond unlocking silver weapons with unlimited ammo and finally an M16.

But what a ride in the meantime.