Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cola Blogging

One of the main reasons I moved back to the States from China last year was to ensure a steady supply of Diet Vanilla Coca-Cola. Some Beijing shops that cater to foreigners with imported goods had started carrying it, but the supply dried up and left us with Diet Lemon Coke as our only fallback.

So it was much to my dismay when, shortly after my thirst-quenching return, Coca-Cola canceled its diet vanilla product. That forced me, a lifelong Coke drinker, to turn to Pepsi in a regular basis for the first time.

Now, alas, even that has been denied as I can no longer find Diet Vanilla Pepsi on any of the grocery store shelves. It would seem the product has been quietly killed.

Yet there is a silver lining, oh yes indeed.

Pepsi has a new family of "Jazz" beverages that include a Diet Black Cherry French Vanilla Pepsi and, of all things, Diet Strawberries & Cream Pepsi. Both of these are far superior in taste to Coke's diet cherry vanilla offering.

We've also grown quite attached to 7-Up's new "Plus" products. They are sweetened with Splenda and about 5 percent fruit juice, so each can actually has 10 calories or so. But my, they are tasty beverages. My favorite is probably the Island Fruit, followed by Mixed Berry and then Cherry.

Maybe I should start a carbonated beverage blog. Nah, that would almost be as retarded as a Web site devoted to canned coffee or something.

(I kid, Dave. You know I think you're doing a wonderful job, just like the time you made me a pencil holder by gluing dried macaroni to an empty jar and then painting it.)