Friday, January 19, 2007

Wii Diet?

Here's a guy who claims he lost 9 pounds in 6 weeks simply by playing with his Wii for 30 minutes a day. The Nintendo Wii, you sick bastards. You know, the new video game console with the motion-sensitive controller?

His experiment looks legit, but hey, so did that e-mail I got from the Nigerian Finance Minister. I guess you can work up a bit of a sweat playing virtual tennis or bowling or whatever, but a pound and a half per week's worth?

Simple math shows there's something funny here.

There are about 3,500 calories per pound. Nine times 3,500 is 31,500 calories. Divide that by 42 -- the number of days in 6 weeks -- and you get 750. So this guy is saying he burned 750 calories in 30 minutes? The rule of thumb for running is that you burn 100 calories per mile. So this guy is saying that playing the Wii for half an hour is equivalent to running 7.5 miles?

Bullshit. I might as well claim I set the world record for the arm curl by jacking off every day.

Labels: , ,