Friday, March 18, 2005

Death of a trilogy

This is weak.

Tony Daniel, the author of the immensely enjoyable far-future sci-fi novels Metaplanetary and Superluminal, has had his publisher cancel the series.

What kind of loser move is that?

I am totally on board with the need for publishers to make money. The only way they can keep printing books is if they can turn a profit by doing so.

But a publisher that runs two parts of what is obviously a trilogy has an obligation to readers to see the story through.

I find the economic reasoning hard to grasp, too. I mean, why would anyone want to buy the first two books now that they've opted not to run the final volume? Who is going to start a trilogy they can't finish?

Anyway, on his Web site, Daniel says he will try to tie up some of the storyline through short stories set in the same universe.

FYI, if you go to the Superluminal link on Amazon, my review is the first one listed. I also reviewed Metaplanetary.

Here's the first paragraph of that review:

I knew I was in for a treat with this book after my dad, who has consumed two or three sci-fi novels a week for the past 30 years, handed it to me and said, "You know, just when you think you've read it all, someone comes out with something like this with stuff you've never even dreamed of." Sure enough, Daniel has spun an incredible tale stuffed with mind-bending technology and ideas. It is surely one of the best sci-fi books I've read lately.