First lines
Amazon's Search Inside feature also gives you the first line of the book. I've always really paid attention to a book's opening sentence, and am often surprised by how many books have just lackluster starts.
I was reminded of this when I saw the first line of Thunder Run: "Jason Diaz was worried about his tank."
Now that's a good opening line. Instantly it conveys a sense of tension. We all know tanks are bad-ass machines that can stand up to a lot, so something fairly dramatic must have happened to make someone worry about one. The sentence pulls you in and makes you want to read more.
Here's another good one, from Steven Brust's debut swashbuckler, Jhereg: "I slipped the poison dart into its slot under the right collar of my cloak, next to the lockpick."
Anyone got any favorite first lines? How about bad ones?
I was reminded of this when I saw the first line of Thunder Run: "Jason Diaz was worried about his tank."
Now that's a good opening line. Instantly it conveys a sense of tension. We all know tanks are bad-ass machines that can stand up to a lot, so something fairly dramatic must have happened to make someone worry about one. The sentence pulls you in and makes you want to read more.
Here's another good one, from Steven Brust's debut swashbuckler, Jhereg: "I slipped the poison dart into its slot under the right collar of my cloak, next to the lockpick."
Anyone got any favorite first lines? How about bad ones?

<< Home