Thursday, May 05, 2005

Bob or Al?

Are you Bob or Al?

A friend popped this question on me the other day when we were discussing movies.

Bob is Robert De Niro and Al, if you couldn't guess, is Al Pacino.

My friend's question goes beyond just whom you like watching more. In a half-serious manner, he thinks it can reflect on what kind of person you are.

He bases this on how Al and Bob, or more accurately, the characters they play on the screen, behave. Or more particularly, how they go off.

Al is the one who goes off like a bomb. It's spectucular to watch him blow ("Scent of a Woman", and you definitely don't want to be anywhere near him ("Scarface") because he will just as likely take out innocent bystanders as the one he is really targeting ("Heat").

On the other hand, Bob is more methodical and meticulous in his madness ("The Score"). Oh, he's perfectly capable of going psycho on you ("Taxi Driver"), but when he does, it's cold and calculated and he controls everything about the situation ("Cape Fear").

My friend said he was more of an Al guy and I thought I was more of a Bob guy.

Then I thought about it a little more and now I think that I actually have more Al in me, but wish I could be more like Bob. I find the kick-ass-ness that is more rational and calculating to be more appealing, but I think I am probably too emotional and short-sighted to pull that off.

So which one are you?