Is anyone better than The White Stripes? Seriously?
Okay, all political digs aside, does anyone know if Coldplay is any good? I ask for a couple reasons.
First is that Amazon.com recommends their new album to those who also bought the new White Stripes album.
Second, I had passed along that Rolling Stone review of the new Stripes album to my pal J-Dogg, and his response was:
But then I started to try to come up with a modern rock band that is better than the Stripes.
I would like to say Tool, but their last album came out five years ago, and theyve only put out three real studio albums in 15 years, whereas the Stripes have put out five knock-out albums in seven years.
A year or two ago I might have said Ben Harper, but his last two CDs, a gospel album with the Blind Boys of Alabama, and “Diamonds on the Inside”didn't live up to his previous efforts. And now he hasn't done a real“Ben Harper”album for nearly three years.
I dig retro blues-rock duo The Black Keys, but they don't have nearly the range of The White Stripes. They'll have to cut another album or two before I'm ready to elevate them to the pantheon of totally wicked rock gods.
How about Beck or Moby? I'm not really into either of those, but I acknowledge their talent, ability to come up with continually fresh material, and their rather high cool factor.
Linkin Park? U2? Gimme a break.
I went on Amazon to see what recommendations popped up for White Stripes fans, and Coldplay was listed. So was the Foo Fighters, Oasis, Wilco and Sleater-Kinney. I was never impressed with the first three on that list, but I haven’t heard any Sleater-Kinney. They any good?
Because after listening to the new White Stripes album all weekend, I'm actually beginning to agree with Rolling Stone. Shudder. But just this once.
First is that Amazon.com recommends their new album to those who also bought the new White Stripes album.
Second, I had passed along that Rolling Stone review of the new Stripes album to my pal J-Dogg, and his response was:
That review is over the top, and surprising, given Rolling Stone's clout. The White Stripes are not that special, frankly. I think you'll admit that. I can't think of any new band that would justify such a comment from RS.While J-Dogg is sadly, sadly mistaken about the quality of The White Stripes’music, I did think he probably had a point about the review. How could it be said about any band that they “pitilessly ... keep crushing the other bands out there?
But then I started to try to come up with a modern rock band that is better than the Stripes.
I would like to say Tool, but their last album came out five years ago, and theyve only put out three real studio albums in 15 years, whereas the Stripes have put out five knock-out albums in seven years.
A year or two ago I might have said Ben Harper, but his last two CDs, a gospel album with the Blind Boys of Alabama, and “Diamonds on the Inside”didn't live up to his previous efforts. And now he hasn't done a real“Ben Harper”album for nearly three years.
I dig retro blues-rock duo The Black Keys, but they don't have nearly the range of The White Stripes. They'll have to cut another album or two before I'm ready to elevate them to the pantheon of totally wicked rock gods.
How about Beck or Moby? I'm not really into either of those, but I acknowledge their talent, ability to come up with continually fresh material, and their rather high cool factor.
Linkin Park? U2? Gimme a break.
I went on Amazon to see what recommendations popped up for White Stripes fans, and Coldplay was listed. So was the Foo Fighters, Oasis, Wilco and Sleater-Kinney. I was never impressed with the first three on that list, but I haven’t heard any Sleater-Kinney. They any good?
Because after listening to the new White Stripes album all weekend, I'm actually beginning to agree with Rolling Stone. Shudder. But just this once.

<< Home