Thursday, July 21, 2005

Scotty

James "Scotty" Doohan has been beamed up for the last time.

A few things about Doohan that I dinna know:

--He was Canadian

--He participated in the D-Day invasion

--He was hit by six rounds from a German machine gun, including one that took off a finger (though he was able to hide it onscreen) and one that hit his chest but was deflected by a cigarette holder.

--He fathered nine children among three wives, with the last child coming in 2000, when Doohan was 80.

But by far the best remembrance of Scotty can be found at Ace of Spades HQ. It's pretty crude, but by the time I finished reading it I was in tears and attracting funny looks from my coworkers.

My favorite line:

The only man in the history of Star Fleet
to wear a Red Shirt and live tell the tale