Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Innovation

One of the great things about capitalism is that it constantly creates new products that we never knew we wanted, but find we can never again live without.

It's true for pharmaceuticals, hybrid car engines and iPod Nanos.

And by God if it isn't true for Quaker Oats Dinosaur Egg Oatmeal. So there are little eggs in your instant oatmeal, and when you mix in the hot water, they hatch little freakin' dinosaurs. How cool is that?

I can just imagine the product development discussion:

Boss: "Fellas, oatmeal is not sexy. We need to capture a younger demographic, show that oatmeal can run with the Lucky Charms and Pop Tarts of this world. Just listen to the word itself. Oat. Meal. Is there any combination of words more designed to repel kids? I want some ideas. Jenson?"

Jenson: "Uh, cinnamon swirls?"

Boss: "Goddammit, Jenson! You're fired! I don't want to hear about cinnamon, or raisins or blueberrys or any of that shit! We need to think outside the box on this one, boys!"

New Guy: "Ahem..."

Boss: "Well, it's the new guy! You think you got what it takes to wow me? You wanted a shot at the big time, well, you got it! Let's hear it, fella. This had better be good!"

New Guy: "What about dinosaurs? Like some sort of soluble egg that melts away when it comes in contact with hot water. And inside, we stick these little edible stegasauruses and stuff, see? Dinosaur Egg Oatmeal."

Boss: "Jesus, Mary and Joseph! That's crazy enough that it just might work!"

Hat tip to Gizmodo, which makes the following observation:
"I hardly would say that this is only for kids. What kind of kid can handle a triceratops popping right out of your god damned oatmeal bowl? I know I’d be armed to the teeth with a spoon and a big appetite! Remember Jurassic Park? I doubt all that high tech engineering was needed. After all, Quaker managed to cram real dinosaur eggs into a bowl of oatmeal without Jeff Goldblum. Any dinosaur enthusiast should immediately try this oatmeal. "
This is reason #12,420 why I'm excited about moving back to the States.