Monday, November 21, 2005

Aw, Crap

So my dad and I just drove a 14' U-Haul van from Seattle to San Francisco.

I hated driving that thing. A Ford F350 with 160,000 miles on it and a busted A/C. It was very disconcerting to have to use side mirrors while changing lanes, backing up etc.

Little did I know those mirrors would be more trouble than I suspected.

We got to the Bay Area just fine, unloaded the truck, and were heading to return it to a U-Haul center about two miles away, in Berkeley.

We were heading down a boulevard with narrow lanes, and I was having to watch traffic on my left, and parked cars, buses and trucks on my right.

Suddenly, BLAM! Something hits on right side of the truck. I see something go flying out of the corner of my vision.

I immediately pull over around the corner and get out to see what happened.

It turns out an 18-wheeler had been parked on the side of the road and our mirrors collided. My mirror was fine. The other guy's mirror... not so fine.

I can't believe I drive more than 800 miles and then, five blocks from returning the damn truck, have something happen.

Oh well. I had to mail two letters, and I made it to the post office one minute before they closed, and even scored a parking spot right out front.

Guess it was my lucky day.