Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Oh Great

Well, my new city has just voted to forcibly disarming its citizens.

If you sell guns in San Francisco, you are now out of business. If you own a gun in San Francisco, you now have to hand it over to authorities, presumably with no compensation. I'm sure I don't need to point out that the gun owners most likely to commit crimes with their guns did not come to possess them lawfully and are not very likely to give them up voluntarily.

I can't even begin to imagine how this is remotely constitutional. I guess there's precedent, though. Chicago and D.C. have passed similar bans. And of course they now have zero violent crime, right?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Four out five Constitutional scholars agree that Trident fights cavities. But they also say that the Founding Fathers' intent was clear -- that they thought the right of average citizens to possess firearms was important enough to list right after the amendment guaranteeing free speech. For those who argue about the Second Amendment's wording about militias, that reasoning ignores the fact that the amendments enumerate rights of individuals, not governments or their various organs.