Four Things
Here are four things I like about San Francisco:
1. The Goldilocks weather. Not too hot, not too cold. Like Seattle, but with more sun.
2. Polite people. The biggest surprise. There's a big-city feel, but folks are almost unfailingly nice and helpful.
3. Nice scenery. One of the most beautiful places I've lived. No dearth of natural wonders to check out.
4. Good food. Especially Asian. We've found some of the most authentic Chinese grub outside of Beijing.
And here are four things I don't like about San Francisco:
1. Traffic. Horrible. There are bridges everywhere, and while magnificent to look at, they are often a bear to cross. And expensive. See No. 2.
2. Prices. Housing prices are obviously stratospheric, with the median home price hovering somewhere around $650,000. In one day, a family of three could spend as much as the cost of a full tank of gas on public transportation.
3. Pizza. Or rather, the apparent dearth of good pizza places. I saw this gripe once or twice in guidebooks, but it has proven true. There are more and better pizza joints in Seattle, which is 1/4 the population and allegedly not as sophisticated.
4. Grime. I guess it's just a function of being a large city, but San Francisco is dirtier than I would have expected. More crowded, too. It's amazing how many houses they can cram together on one hillside around here.
1. The Goldilocks weather. Not too hot, not too cold. Like Seattle, but with more sun.
2. Polite people. The biggest surprise. There's a big-city feel, but folks are almost unfailingly nice and helpful.
3. Nice scenery. One of the most beautiful places I've lived. No dearth of natural wonders to check out.
4. Good food. Especially Asian. We've found some of the most authentic Chinese grub outside of Beijing.
And here are four things I don't like about San Francisco:
1. Traffic. Horrible. There are bridges everywhere, and while magnificent to look at, they are often a bear to cross. And expensive. See No. 2.
2. Prices. Housing prices are obviously stratospheric, with the median home price hovering somewhere around $650,000. In one day, a family of three could spend as much as the cost of a full tank of gas on public transportation.
3. Pizza. Or rather, the apparent dearth of good pizza places. I saw this gripe once or twice in guidebooks, but it has proven true. There are more and better pizza joints in Seattle, which is 1/4 the population and allegedly not as sophisticated.
4. Grime. I guess it's just a function of being a large city, but San Francisco is dirtier than I would have expected. More crowded, too. It's amazing how many houses they can cram together on one hillside around here.

<< Home