I'm an Athlete. Not.
My buddy Joe was apparently some sort of adolescent freak of nature.
At least he had a shining moment of athletic glory, something that has eluded me my entire life.
The pinnacle of my athletic career was in sophomore high school football, where I was 2nd-string defensive guard.
On the last game of the season, we were beating our rivals like 35-0, and the coach goes, "Scott! Get in there!"
I ran in not knowing what to expect and lined up. It was fourth down.
"Hike!" The ball snapped back.
I stepped up and saw the quarterback right in front of me.
It took a second to realize that there was nobody between me and him. They had forgotten to block me.
I took a couple more steps, reached out, grabbed his jersey, and wrenched him to the ground. A sack.
A sack that preserved our shutout of our big rival in the last game of the season.
That's all I got, but it's kept me going for 20 years. Twenty years, man.
At least he had a shining moment of athletic glory, something that has eluded me my entire life.
The pinnacle of my athletic career was in sophomore high school football, where I was 2nd-string defensive guard.
On the last game of the season, we were beating our rivals like 35-0, and the coach goes, "Scott! Get in there!"
I ran in not knowing what to expect and lined up. It was fourth down.
"Hike!" The ball snapped back.
I stepped up and saw the quarterback right in front of me.
It took a second to realize that there was nobody between me and him. They had forgotten to block me.
I took a couple more steps, reached out, grabbed his jersey, and wrenched him to the ground. A sack.
A sack that preserved our shutout of our big rival in the last game of the season.
That's all I got, but it's kept me going for 20 years. Twenty years, man.

<< Home