...But Not In Japan
Freshly worked up after delivering the latest whipping to PS3 fanbois, I come across this tidbit about sales of video game hardware in Japan. Turns out that the Wii kicked all kinds of ass, selling 350,000 units there in one week. To compare, the Xbox 360 was the best-selling console in North America in November, and it sold 500,000 in the entire month.
The Wii outsold the PS3 by more than to 10-to-1. I was about to say something rude to Joe but then I looked and saw that 360 sales fell more than 40 percent to just 4,000 units. That means the PS3 outsold the 360 in Japan by 8-to-1. Hell, the PS2 outsold the 360. So the early indication is that many Japanese were indeed just waiting for the PS3 to launch and now that it has hit they are abandoning the 360 in droves.
But those Wii numbers have to be worrying for Sony. They are getting pounded in the U.S. by the 360 and in Japan by the Wii.
But shouldn't Microsoft be worried about the Wii? To a certain extent. But I think they are partly reassured by indications that people will travel the "Wii60" route and buy a 360 and a Wii for just $50 more than one PS3.
Again, it comes back to how quickly Sony can get the wrinkles ironed out of the PS3, ramp production, and lower the price.
The Wii outsold the PS3 by more than to 10-to-1. I was about to say something rude to Joe but then I looked and saw that 360 sales fell more than 40 percent to just 4,000 units. That means the PS3 outsold the 360 in Japan by 8-to-1. Hell, the PS2 outsold the 360. So the early indication is that many Japanese were indeed just waiting for the PS3 to launch and now that it has hit they are abandoning the 360 in droves.
But those Wii numbers have to be worrying for Sony. They are getting pounded in the U.S. by the 360 and in Japan by the Wii.
But shouldn't Microsoft be worried about the Wii? To a certain extent. But I think they are partly reassured by indications that people will travel the "Wii60" route and buy a 360 and a Wii for just $50 more than one PS3.
Again, it comes back to how quickly Sony can get the wrinkles ironed out of the PS3, ramp production, and lower the price.

<< Home