Xbox 2 details
Yeah yeah, most leaks about the next-generation consoles are based on sourcing thinner than Mary-Kate Olsen. But this stuff comes from GameSpy, my favorite site for info on the electronic crack that runs my life and haunts my dreams...
Anyway, GameSpy is quoting unidentified "developers" (note the plural) at the Game Developers Conference now going on. Here's what they've pieced together about the next version of the kick-assiest console out there:
--Main processor: Three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores
--Graphics chip: Next-generation beyond ATI's top-line X800. Runs at 500MHz
--System memory: 256Mb RAM, quadruple what is in the current Xbox
--Optical drive: DVD-9, no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD
--Hard drive: Optional
They also say that Microsoft is requiring all games to be Live "aware" (as in, be able to at least ping the network, presumably for handling things like the upgraded gamer tags, but not necessarily be playable online), support a 720p hi-def picture and enable custom soundtracks.
Everything sounds pretty sweet to me, with the exception of the optional hard drive. Storage is so cheap I can't figure out why they wouldn't include that. I know there are cost issues, etc, but still. They are backing away from a trail they blazed.
A friend did point out, however, that you'd need a hard drive to make custom soundtracks work. I also thought the hard drive was essential for the speedy loading times the Xbox is famed for.
Nothing on backward compatibility, either.
I can't wait.
Anyway, GameSpy is quoting unidentified "developers" (note the plural) at the Game Developers Conference now going on. Here's what they've pieced together about the next version of the kick-assiest console out there:
--Main processor: Three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores
--Graphics chip: Next-generation beyond ATI's top-line X800. Runs at 500MHz
--System memory: 256Mb RAM, quadruple what is in the current Xbox
--Optical drive: DVD-9, no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD
--Hard drive: Optional
They also say that Microsoft is requiring all games to be Live "aware" (as in, be able to at least ping the network, presumably for handling things like the upgraded gamer tags, but not necessarily be playable online), support a 720p hi-def picture and enable custom soundtracks.
Everything sounds pretty sweet to me, with the exception of the optional hard drive. Storage is so cheap I can't figure out why they wouldn't include that. I know there are cost issues, etc, but still. They are backing away from a trail they blazed.
A friend did point out, however, that you'd need a hard drive to make custom soundtracks work. I also thought the hard drive was essential for the speedy loading times the Xbox is famed for.
Nothing on backward compatibility, either.
I can't wait.

<< Home