Giving Coldplay the cold shoulder
This is hilarious. I'm kicking around Amazon, as I'm wont to do given my lack of friends or interesting hobbies, checking out the new Coldplay album. As I scroll down, I see this in the“sponsored links”section:
The Case Against Coldplay.
This turns out to be a New York Times review of the band's new album, and it basically rips them a new one. After setting up the reader with an introductory paragraph of profuse praise, the second paragraph slams down like a rod across the knuckles:
The Case Against Coldplay.
This turns out to be a New York Times review of the band's new album, and it basically rips them a new one. After setting up the reader with an introductory paragraph of profuse praise, the second paragraph slams down like a rod across the knuckles:
But put them all together and they add up to Coldplay, the most insufferable band of the decade.Most of the reviewer's complaints revolve around the woebegone crooner Chris Martin, whose vocals are described as "somewhere between a yodel and a hiccup".
[F]rom the beginning, Coldplay has verged on self-parody. When he moans his verses, Mr. Martin can sound so sorry for himself that there's hardly room to sympathize for him, and when he's not mixing metaphors, he fearlessly slings clichés.I'm sure the band and the label executives are thrilled that this review appears on the Amazon page offering the album for sale. To be dissed by some half-literate playa-hater in the customer reviews section is one thing, but it's gotta sting that every potential buyer of the album has a handy link to “The Case Against Coldplay” displayed so prominently.

<< Home