Thursday, July 07, 2005

Just what the world needs

Vegetarian haggis.

From the Wikipedia definition of haggis:

Although there are many recipes, some of which use deer offal, it is normally made with the following ingredients: sheep's heart, liver, and lungs (or "lights"), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for several hours.
Okay, I'm not here to defend a dish like that, but let's be honest. If I'm going to be brave enough to eat haggis, I want the full compliment of nasty bits. No fucking around here, I want offal, suet, and lights (crap, if sheep lungs are "lights", what the hellare the "heavies"?).

Nothing against vegetarians here, but geez, if you're going to replace all the stuff that makes haggis haggis, have the decency to give the dish a new name. I mean, it makes about as much sense as "vegetarian monkey brains".

UPDATE: A friend suggests vegetarian haggis be known as "vagis". This is awesome marketing, which I guess is why my friend actually works in marketing. Who could resist digging into a nice, hot helping of vagis?