Saturday, July 23, 2005

Mobile games

Greg Costikyan has an interesting look at the future of mobile gaming.

His view in a nutshell is that the current generation of mobile games are essentially the same genres and titles we have now, but dumbed down and ported over to mobile phones with weak screens and processors.

He then goes on to list some unique features of mobile devices: they are primarily used for communication and are therefore social gadgets; they store information like address books and, increasingly with picture cameras, photos; they are highly personalized with ringtones, screen savers and the like.

He doesn't claim to know what the ideal mobile game should look like, but his observations (he delivered them in a presentation to Nokia) are interesting food for thought.

Not that I'm interested in mobile gaming, really. I'm too much of a graphics whore to play anything on my phone, or even the Nintendo DS or Sony PSP. Gimme my Xbox and a 32" TV any day.

Besides, if I do ever get into mobile games, it will completely wipe out the constructive stuff I do while on the go, like reading actual books, printed on paper and everything.

Just might as well lobotomize me now.