Monday, October 17, 2005

Busy

It has been a bad couple of weeks for blogging out of LMNOP's Asian headquarters.

Not only am I still struggling, after two weeks, to whup this bronchial infection, but it's crunch time as far as our move is concerned.

Today we filled out our household items insurance form, in which we had to itemize the majority of our belongings and attach a replacement value to each of them.

The biggest single item? The Oriental Wife's wardrobe, of course. Believe me when I say that we are not wealthy people, so how the hell can she have $11,000 worth of clothes?

Part of the answer is that the value of each item is listed as what it would cost to replace in the destination country.

The Oriental Wife has bought probably 75 percent of her clothes here in the Orient. That means pants for $5, a blouse for $2, a leather bag for $10. If the ship sinks to the bottom halfway across the Pacific, we'd have to spend $50, $75 and $100 to replace those things in the States.

The other big-ticket item turned out to be media of various kinds: more than 350 CDs, 350 books, 75 DVDs, and 35 Xbox games. If you do the math on that, it works out roughly to a squillion dollars, give or take a jillion. Seriously, more than a quarter of our household value comes from media.

I'm sure that says something about the modern condition, but I can't be bothered to think it through right now.

UPDATE: Against my better judgement, I share with you a mildly tweaked version of a phone text message I sent to my pal J-Dogg:

Oriental Wife's wardrobe: $11,000

Family CD collection: $7,000

Scott's Xbox collection: $1,750

Leaving a ruthless dictatorship: Priceless!