Those slimy Republicans
Certain visitors to this site have accused me of being unabashedly pro-Big Business, a flag-waving, muscle car-luvin' gun nut, and a Republican.
I plead guilty on all but the last count.
In the interest of making myself look fairer and more open-minded than I really am, I present this list of stomach-churning shenanigans by the GOP, whose small government, federalist, free market wing appears to be increasingly marginalized:
--Jeb Bush wants to probe the chain of events surrounding Terry Schiavo's coma 15 years ago. More political grandstanding at the expense of Schiavo's former husband.
--A Republican congressman has introduced a Social Security bill that omits personal accounts AND guarantees of long-term viability. Uh, so what's the point?
--President Bush wants to make the Patriot Act permanent. While I think a lot of the handwringing over the act was overly dramatic, I am discomfited at the thought that greater police powers granted during wartime will be here to stay.
--The House just passed an amendment to ban the burning of the American flag. Of course it still has to pass the Senate and three-quarters of the states to take effect, but some of the statements are just incandescently idiotic:
I plead guilty on all but the last count.
In the interest of making myself look fairer and more open-minded than I really am, I present this list of stomach-churning shenanigans by the GOP, whose small government, federalist, free market wing appears to be increasingly marginalized:
--Jeb Bush wants to probe the chain of events surrounding Terry Schiavo's coma 15 years ago. More political grandstanding at the expense of Schiavo's former husband.
--A Republican congressman has introduced a Social Security bill that omits personal accounts AND guarantees of long-term viability. Uh, so what's the point?
--President Bush wants to make the Patriot Act permanent. While I think a lot of the handwringing over the act was overly dramatic, I am discomfited at the thought that greater police powers granted during wartime will be here to stay.
--The House just passed an amendment to ban the burning of the American flag. Of course it still has to pass the Senate and three-quarters of the states to take effect, but some of the statements are just incandescently idiotic:
"Ask the men and women who stood on top of the TradeThat is pretty much the most shameless bit of political puffery I have seen lately. Unbelievable.
Center," said Rep. Randy Cunningham, R-Calif. "Ask them and they
will tell you: pass this amendment."

<< Home