Hardline On Iran
The Wall Street Journal has an editorial calling for a tougher policy towards Iran.
"Sweet," I thought when I first started reading. "Something like more covert support for dissidents and pro-democracy activists would be welcome. High-profile military operations on Iraq's border with Iran would be nice. Have Bolton go nuclear on the nuclear issue the UN, bang his shoe on the podium or something. Those flinty hearted conservative Journal editors are sure to have some hard-hitting ideas up their sleeve."
So what's their big idea?
May God help us all.
P.S. Yes, I know the editorial specifically said: "Leaving aside--but not ruling out--the option of military intervention..." and went on to suggest support for democratic groups. It still was an odd way to end a plea calling for a tougher stance towards the mullahs.
"Sweet," I thought when I first started reading. "Something like more covert support for dissidents and pro-democracy activists would be welcome. High-profile military operations on Iraq's border with Iran would be nice. Have Bolton go nuclear on the nuclear issue the UN, bang his shoe on the podium or something. Those flinty hearted conservative Journal editors are sure to have some hard-hitting ideas up their sleeve."
So what's their big idea?
"[Bush] has made no effort to organize bans on Iranian participation in prestigious international forums or at sporting and cultural events. Patrick Clawson of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy suggests, for starters, barring the Iranian national soccer team from the World Cup."Woah, steady there Dr. Strangelove! Let's not get carried away! I mean, can't we be reasonable about this? At least hold out the option for air strikes before resorting to something as drastic as banning the Iranians from soccer matches. Let that sink in: these guys want to ban the Iranians from soccer matches.
May God help us all.
P.S. Yes, I know the editorial specifically said: "Leaving aside--but not ruling out--the option of military intervention..." and went on to suggest support for democratic groups. It still was an odd way to end a plea calling for a tougher stance towards the mullahs.

<< Home