Monday, August 01, 2005

Music

I bought a 20G Rio Karma almost exactly one year ago.

It has 3,641 songs on it, but after a year, I still haven't listened to 1,239 of them.

How did so much John Denver get on there, anyway? And Enya. What's up with that?

It's sort of tempting to just delete all that stuff. Some people have a rule about their wardrobes: if you haven't worn something in a year, you probably won't wear it again. Does the same thing apply to music collections?

I'm inclined to think not.

I've set the Karma to play through all the unplayed songs, and I'm surprised at how good the stuff is when it just comes on randomly.

Even the Sinead O'Connor.

A better example is the blues band Canned Heat. I have a 2-disc set of their "best" stuff, and I have never been able to stand listening to it straight through. But a couple times over the past two days, a jammin' little blues rock number has come on and it's turned out to be Canned Heat. So I think it's worth keeping most of this stuff.

But I can still probably stand to lose about 80 percent of the John Denver.