No there in "There"?
Steven Bochco, the TV production whiz behind "NYPD Blue", "L.A. Law" and "Hill Street Blues", has a new series out about the Iraq War.
It's billed as an apolitical, ultra-realistic look at the lives of soldiers on the front lines of the conflict.
I thought it sounded interesting.
But too bad actual soldiers don't think so.
I mean, I thought Saving Private Ryan was a gripping, faithful look at World War Two, but I've read bits and pieces by military historians who point out a lot of flaws even in that masterpiece.
Just a guess, but I'm pretty sure "L.A. Law" wasn't a realistic representation of how the legal business works.
But if you're going to bill a show about an ongoing war as "true to life" and "unflinching", then you'd probably better make sure that it, well, is those things.
The list of the show's sins seems pretty long. Anyone out there see the first episode?
It's billed as an apolitical, ultra-realistic look at the lives of soldiers on the front lines of the conflict.
I thought it sounded interesting.
But too bad actual soldiers don't think so.
"Bogus" was the preferred adjective among the eight soldiers -- most of them Iraq vets -- viewing the series pilot last week at Camp Murray, headquarters of the Washington State National Guard in Tacoma.Now, I'm sure some leeway can be allowed given the fact that realism always gives way to drama in Hollywood.
"Thank God that's over," said a master sergeant as the credits rolled.
I mean, I thought Saving Private Ryan was a gripping, faithful look at World War Two, but I've read bits and pieces by military historians who point out a lot of flaws even in that masterpiece.
Just a guess, but I'm pretty sure "L.A. Law" wasn't a realistic representation of how the legal business works.
But if you're going to bill a show about an ongoing war as "true to life" and "unflinching", then you'd probably better make sure that it, well, is those things.
The list of the show's sins seems pretty long. Anyone out there see the first episode?

<< Home